Skip to main content

Interactive Reading Guide

https://www.amnh.org/explore/curriculum-collections/integrating-literacy-strategies-into-science-instruction/interactive-reading-guides/

This page shows a youtube video on how a teacher uses interactive reading guides in her 8th grade science class. It is a 5 minute video and she does a really good job in briefly explaining what it is, how it is used, and why it is useful students. She also provides the two worksheets she used for the assignment the students were working on in the video, so it gives a perfect example on how to use it. I think interactive readings is a great strategy to incorporate in class for students to engage in the reading and see if they understand it, and since this method gives a step-by-step instructions for students to follow, it is easy to implement in class. I think everyone should check it out and she how it is done!

WORD COUNT: 136

Clip Art Large Literacy Center Clipart #1

Comments

  1. Hi Jane! I really like this resource for the classroom, specifically the science classroom. Since the students are learning many new concepts in science, having a reading guide to help them through learning is very beneficial. I agree with what you said-- it is a great way to see if the students understand the material! It is also beneficial in the fact that the teacher does not have to be present with each student the entire time. This way, the students can learn independently or with a partner without giving them too much freedom. (94)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using Art in Math

The art piece I chose is an artwork called Diagonal Cubes . It was constructed in 2005 by Robyn Horn and he used the materials of redwood and graphite. As shown in the image above, the wood is positioned and cut out geometrically and can be easily implemented in a math classroom when talking about shapes. I would personally use this when I have a lesson between 2-D and 3-D shapes, and tie it into the difference between area and volume. I think when introducing those topics and getting them to calculate either area or volume, this would be excellent piece for them to see a physical object and really grasp the idea than just teaching them with books or worksheets. As shown in the image above, I would outline a piece of wood or section and explain how just with the outlined part, this is 2 dimensional. There is only 2 measurements which are length and height. If the physical object is in the classroom and I have the ability to touch the object, I would probably get students to come u...

TedxTalks: "I don't do Math"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y44nqo11Fh0 This video is a TedxTalks that explains the importance of STEM literacy. Emily Calandrelli defines being STEM literacy as a "way of thinking" instead of being extremely scientifically smart. For example, going to the grocery store and knowing what are GMO's or what benefits organic products have are all STEM literacy. I personally like how she suggests  that STEM literacy is a survival skill and that its important to pay attention because it affects our society and how the world is effected based on it. I think as future educators, particularly in the STEM subjects, its important to keep in mind the importance of STEM literacy and guide students in the directions of understanding STEM literacy and why it is needed in our society. WORD COUNT: 124

Reading Strategies Used in Math

Website:  https://mathgeekmama.com/using-literacy-strategies-to-teach-math/ Math Geek Mama is a resource blog created by a fellow math teacher whose uploaded many strategies, tips, games, and etc. that would help other math teachers in the classroom. Bethany, the creator of this website, included many useful resources for all grade levels (k-12) and tried to make the website very user friendly, so it is very easy to navigate around the website. In particular, I linked to the page where she talks about literacy strategies that can be used to teach math and I feel like this connects to what we have been talking about in class, such as trying to make connections with the real world or using prior knowledge/schema when introducing math concepts. So, I thought this is a nice resource that gives ideas and explains strategies that can be applied in the future when teaching students. Word Count: 141